Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heritage City of Karnataka

*Alarm rang*

Me with eyes half-open, stopped the alarm and checked the time. It is freaking 6am! On a SUNDAY morning…! My Gawddddd…. What was I thinking to wake up that early on a Sunday when there is NO diving in Bangalore…!

I crawled down the bed… struggled to open the door and off to the kitchen; made myself a cup of hot coffee. Ahhh... I am feeling a lil' bit more awake. Then off to the shower and it was cold early in the winter morning.

Not long after I got ready, Selvar missed call me. It is time to my lil' adventure to the Heritage City of Karnataka - Mysore.

I was greeted by Pravi the driver / owner of Toyota Qualis - my ride to Mysore. Selvar was there who took leave to accompany me. One of the best driver you can get in town!

After I got in the car...

Pravi asked, "Madamme, you like Jackie Chan?"

I replied, "Huh? Jackie Chan? Of cos! Errm.. why?"

Pravi then said, "Ok, Madamme. I play Police Story."

What the...?? Play Police Story. For a moment I thought he was going to play the role of Jackie Chan and Selvar as the bad guy! Then, he took out a DVD, slide it into the player and clicked a button and there comes the screen in the car! Ho ho ho... I didn't know I get to enjoy a movie on the way to Mysore. Is that a bonus or what? Hee....

Upon arrival, here are the list of places that I've visited.

Srirangapatna
A town in theMandya district. The entire town is enclosed by the Cauvery River. I visited the temple and took a ride on the cute little ermm.. I donno how to call it - a round 'sampan' (boat)? Hee Hee..

Mausoleum housing Tippu's tomb
Sultan Fateh Ali Tippu, also known as the "Tiger of Mysore" was the de facto ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore. Tiger of Mysore? WHY?? I wikipedia-ed Tippu and found out the below story.

"He was called the Tiger of Mysore because of the following story. Once, while hunting in the forest with a French friend Tippu Sultan came face to face with a tiger. His gun did not work, and his dagger fell to the ground as the tiger jumped on him. He reached for the dagger, picked it up, and killed the tiger with it. That earned him the name "the Tiger of Mysore". He had the image of a tiger on his flag."


Tippu Sultan and his parents tombs (left) Tippu Sultan's relatives tombs (right)

Tippu Sultan's Summer Palace (left) Beautiful paintings on the wall (right)

Tippu's Death Place

Well, as shown in the pictures below... (which is the correct spelling? Tipu or Tippu?)



Watergate
At this next stop, Selvar kept having a smile on his face and asked me to come down from the car. I was excited thought there will be something interesting. Then he kept smiling and said, "Madamme...! This is a prison! We are standing in a prison!" Hmm....... right..........


Chamundi Hill
According to wiki, legend has it that that the demon Mahishasura, the king of Mysore, was killed by the Goddess Chamundeswari (also Chamundi) after a fierce battle. The hills hence got their name and a temple of the goddess was built on the top.

Nandi Temple (Bull Temple)
The temple is exclusively for the worship of the sacred Hindu demi-god, the bull Nandi, Lord Shiva's vahana (vehicle / ride)


Sidharta Resort & Restaurant
Beautiful restaurant in the resort surrounded by a man-made lake. I ordered a glass of Cranberry juice, had the chef recommended Spinach & Mushroom soup, grilled fish with boiled vegetables & chips. It was so satisfying! YUMMY!




Mysore Palace
This beautiful palace is an official residence of the former royal family of Mysore, and also housed the durbar (royal offices). See wikipedia to find out more.


SHOPPING!
I bought the famous Mysore Saree, shawls, some accessories and decorative items. Spent BND500 here in one shop. I need to control my spendings! Boo-hoo-hoooo...

St. Philomena's church
This church built in the honour of St. Philomena and was constructed in 1956.

Brindavan Garden
This show garden has a beautiful botanical park, full of fountains, as well as boat rides beneath the dam. It also has a musical fountain!

As an end to a very worth-spent day trip, I watched Baazigar a Bollywood movie starring... the famous Shakrukh Khan..!

For more pictures visit the links below:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27263&l=d1da8&id=645189594
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27267&l=d95e6&id=645189594

Thank you for reading... Namaste.

No comments: