Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mehndi

What are some of the things that I should do before I leave? Hmmm..

Indian clothes - saree & salwaar kameez
- CHECKED!
Indian food - CHECKED!
Indian accessories - CHECKED!
Hmm... what about Henna Tattoo?

A quick search on wiki and I found the below.

"Mehndi (or Henna) is the application of henna as a temporary form of skin decoration. It is usually drawn on the hands and feet, where the color will be darkest because the skin contains higher levels of keratin, with which the colorant of henna enters a permanent bind.

Mehndi decorations became fashionable in the West in the late 1990s, where they are sometimes called "henna tattoos". This term isn't accurate, because tattoos are defined as permanent surgical insertion of pigments underneath the skin, as opposed to pigments resting on the surface."

Ah-har! So henna tattoo is a wrong use of terminology. It is called "Mehndi"!

In South India, it is typically used for special occasions, particularly weddings. The brides usually have Mehndi done on both hands up to 3/4 of their arms. Others as fashion will have Mehndi done (from palm to not beyond elbow) either on both hands or just one.

Gayathri has arranged for Catherine - my masseur to send her gal over for Mehndi. Catherine and her gals have been giving me massages and she is good! This is one other thing that I will really miss in Bangalore. I found out that the Mehndi gal is actually Catherine's sister Fatimma. Catherine is a very capable woman who owns a beauty parlour that does massage, facial, pedicure, manicure, bridal make-up, mehndi,etc etc. And, she also owns a boutique! I found that all up chatting with her while Fatimma patiently decorated my hand. Hee Hee..

Catherine & Fatimma (left) Fatimma in action (right)

The completed artwork! My beautiful left hand! Hee... hee...


After removing the henna...

Hmm.. I wonder how long will this last? Ohh.. And, I found out over lunch today that the darker the designed on my palm is... the more my other half loves me. Hmm.. So please turn darker!! hee hee hee....

No comments: