Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Berakas Oil Rig Wreck & TAC Reef

Azli: Mau diving sunday?
Me: Mau...! Of cos... ke mana?
Azli: Mana saja kamu mau la...
Me: Ada new dive sites?
Azli: Ada rig wreck baru... mau kah?
Me: SET!


Dive date: 27th April 2008
Dive buddies: Andrew, Allen, Elisa, Hung
Dive captain: Azli


Having dive in brunei for almost 4 years, there are still no sign of boredom. Why? Azli never run out with new dive sites. He is forever exploring Brunei waters and discovering new wrecks and new reef. That's why I called him, dive si-fu (master / instructor).

It rained heavily on friday. My buddy and me were worried about the visibility. A call from Eric who canceled the dive last sunday, complaining about the bad visibility his Friday's dives. We weren't putting our hope too high on good viz, but more on experiencing the new wreck site.

When we reached the dive site, my jaw-dropped and I removed my sunglasses, rubbed my eyes and look down from the boat again. Am I seeing the wreck? The oil-rig wreck from the boat?! My gawd.. visibility was excellent! I quickly grabbed any mask nearest to me, jumped down from the boat and snorkelled. I can see the WHOLE rig wreck! The viz was SUPERB! woohoooo... all excited, everyone of us quickly geared up and had a wonderful one hour dive at Berakas Oil Rig Wreck. A must return for those with wide angle lens!

For 2nd dive, we went to TAC reef. Discovered by Azli when Andrew, Tat and myself were doing exploration dives with him. Azli named this reef after us - Tat Andrew Caryn Reef; hence TAC Reef. :)

This dive site is famous with black ray shrimp goby and cute little cuttlefish.

Enjoy the pictures below! Photos courtesy of Andrew Chieng


Flabelina Nudibranch (left), Flat worms dancing (right)


Gobys on soft corals


Tube worms (left), Christmas tree worms (right)


Cuttle fish (left), Cornshell attacking / feeding on another cornshell (right)


Black Ray Shrimp Goby

My favourite for this dive collection - Black Ray Shrimp Goby front view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah, if Snail was there, can asli name the reef to CATS?

Scubabum said...

hahaha... of cos...! but u prefer to have it in 'S'? :P Reason we did not put CAT is that cat eats fishes and we want to see fishes... :P